Prime Video Strikes Deal With Pinewood Group to Take UK Production Facilities at Shepperton Studios
Deal marks first long-term commitment by Prime Video in UK studio space as it prepares to launch record number of UK original series in 2022 and 2023
LONDON–9 FEBRUARY, 2022–In a further commitment to the UK production industry, Prime Video today announced a landmark multimillion-pound long-term contract with Shepperton Studios for exclusive use of new production facilities at the Surrey studios for future original TV series and movie productions. The new facilities will comprise 9 sound stages, workshops and office accommodation, totalling approximately 450,000 square feet, and forming part of the wider redevelopment and expansion of Shepperton Studios, which will deliver approximately 1.2 million square feet of new studio space.
“We are delighted to be partnering with Pinewood Group as we continue to support, develop and invest in the world-leading UK creative industries,” said Jennifer Salke, head of Amazon Studios. “Shepperton has long been synonymous with top-tier television and movies and we’re proud that it will be home to many Prime Video original productions in the years to come.”
“As we continue to grow the number of original series we’re making in the UK, it is critical that these productions support and develop a diverse pipeline of talent,” added Dan Grabiner, head of UK Originals, Amazon Studios. “We’re excited to be collaborating with Pinewood Group and our production partners to create new opportunities for UK creatives.”
“We’re delighted to be welcoming Prime Video to our expanded Shepperton Studios,” said Paul Golding, chairman, Pinewood Group. “This landmark long-term commitment to Shepperton supports our considerable investment in this fantastic studio. Once construction is completed in 2023, Shepperton Studios will comprise 31 purpose-built stages, making it the second-biggest studio in the world.”
“We’ve supported our world-leading cultural and creative sector throughout the pandemic and will continue to do so as it bounces back,” said Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak. “It’s fantastic to see Prime Video expanding its UK presence and giving yet another boost to our rebounding economy. The investment will drive growth and create jobs with thousands of opportunities for the producers, actors and directors of tomorrow.”
“The UK’s film and production industry is rightly recognised as among the best in the world,” said Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries. "This multimillion-pound investment by Prime Video is a huge vote of confidence in the strength of our infrastructure and workforce and I hope encourages other firms to follow. I look forward to seeing all the fantastic film and TV created in this state-of-the-art facility in the years to come."
The long-term commitment to studio space at Shepperton Studios aligns with Amazon Studios’ strategy of expanding its production footprint in the UK. The first UK-produced series, The Grand Tour, was launched on Prime Video in 2016; it was followed by All or Nothing sports documentaries featuring Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur. Subsequent unscripted series launched regularly, like Clarkson’s Farm in the summer of 2021. Good Omens, the first UK-produced scripted original series, debuted on Prime Video in 2019; as a result of increased production, 2022 and 2023 will see the largest number of UK original series launching to date. These include The Devil’s Hour, a six-part thriller series produced by Hartswood Films starring Jessica Raine and Peter Capaldi; Jungle, a grime and drill music drama series from first-time TV producers Nothing Lost; The Rig, Wild Mercury’s six-part epic thriller series starring Martin Compston and Emily Hampshire; and Mammals, a six-part comedy-drama series written by Jez Butterworth and starring James Corden and Sally Hawkins.
Many of Amazon Studios’ major global series already call the UK home such as Citadel and The Power - with filming currently underway in Scotland on Anansi Boys and Good Omens Season Two. And in 2021, Amazon Studios announced its forthcoming Lord of the Rings series, The Rings of Power, will film Season Two in the UK. Amazon Studios has also signed overall deals with British creators including Neil Gaiman, Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Sir Steve McQueen.
For all media enquiries relating to this announcement, please contact:
Ffion Williams – Head of Brand PR, Prime Video UK – email@example.com
Notes to Editors:
About Pinewood Group
As the leading provider of studio and related services to the global film and television industry, Pinewood Studios Group has enabled storytellers to bring their creations to life on the big and small screen for 85 years. Founded in 1936 and headquartered in the United Kingdom, Pinewood has helped create some of the most treasured productions at its world-class stages and facilities in Pinewood, Shepperton, Toronto and the Dominican Republic, among them 170 Oscar winners, 230 BAFTA winners and numerous blockbuster film productions with budgets of over $100 million. Once construction is completed at Shepperton Studios it will be the biggest film Studio in Europe. The UK-based studios have been home to many highly acclaimed productions such as No Time To Die, Eternals, Black Widow, Cruella, 1917, Rocketman, and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker and Mary Poppins Returns. For more information, visit pinewoodgroup.com
About Prime Video
Prime Video offers customers a vast collection of TV shows, movies, sport and more — all available to watch on practically any device:
- Included with Prime: Watch thousands of popular movies and TV shows, award-winning Amazon Originals and other exclusives, sports, and more. Think UK-produced Amazon Originals such as Good Omens, The Grand Tour and All or Nothing: Tottenham Hotspur, US hits like The Boys, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan; as well as exclusive TV shows like Star Trek: Picard, Nine Perfect Strangers and Little Fires Everywhere; movies like Coming 2 America and the Golden Globe-winning Borat Subsequent Moviefilm; as well as live sport including ATP and WTA Tour and US Open Tennis, the Rugby Union Autumn Nations Cup and Premier League football. All available at no additional cost as part of Prime Video, which is available in more than 240 countries and territories worldwide (offers and titles vary based on location).
- Watch More with Prime Video Channels: Prime members can add 65+ channels like Discovery, ITV Hub+, Eurosport Player, hayu, STARZPLAY and more — no extra apps to download; no long-term contract required. Only pay for the ones you want, and cancel anytime. View the full list of channels available at Amazon.co.uk/channels.
- Rent or Buy: Enjoy new-release movies to rent or buy, entire seasons of current TV shows available to buy, with special deals just for Prime members.
- Instant Access: Watch at home or on the go with your choice of hundreds of compatible devices. Stream from the web or using the Prime Video app on your smartphone, tablet, set-top box including Sky, Virgin, TalkTalk and BT, game console, or select smart TVs. For a list of all compatible devices, visit Amazon.co.uk/watchanywhere.
- Enhanced Experiences: Make the most of every viewing with 4K Ultra HD and High Dynamic Range (HDR) compatible content. Go behind the scenes of your favourite movies and TV shows with exclusive X-Ray access, powered by IMDb. Save it for later with select mobile downloads for offline viewing.
Prime Video is just one of many benefits included with a Prime membership, along with unlimited fast delivery options on millions of items as well as exclusive deals and discounts at Amazon.co.uk, exclusive content with Prime Gaming, access to ad-free music, Kindle ebooks, and unlimited photo storage. To sign-up or start a free trial of Prime visit: Amazon.co.uk/prime
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Amazon strives to be Earth’s Most Customer-Centric Company, Earth’s Best Employer, and Earth’s Safest Place to Work. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Career Choice, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, Alexa, Just Walk Out technology, Amazon Studios, and The Climate Pledge are some of the things pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit Amazon.co.uk/about and follow @AmazonNewsUK.