Japanese record-breaking anime blockbuster film EVANGELION:3.0+1.01 THRICE UPON A TIME to launch exclusively on Amazon Prime Video on August 13th
The latest film in the legendary Japanese anime franchise will premiere in over 240 countries and territories excluding Japan
All three previous movies in the franchise will also become available exclusively on Prime Video excluding rental and purchase
London, UK, July 1st 2021 – Amazon Prime Video today announced the exclusive global premiere (outside of Japan) of the highly anticipated Japanese anime blockbuster EVANGELION:3.0+1.01 THRICE UPON A TIME on August 13th. EVANGELION:3.0+1.01 THRICE UPON A TIME is the fourth and final chapter of the new theatrical edition of Evangelion. The anime film – which is the highest-grossing in all movies by chief director Hideaki Anno and most-watched movie in Japanese theatres in 2021- is from directors Kazuya Tsurumaki, Katsuichi Nakayama and Mahiro Maeda as well as legendary creator, screenwriter and chief director Hideaki Anno (Shin Godzilla). To celebrate the finale of the franchise, Prime Video will also release the three previous movies, EVANGELION:1.11 YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE., EVANGELION:2.22 YOU CAN (NOT) ADVANCE., EVANGELION:3.33 YOU CAN (NOT) REDO. to fans in more than 240 countries and territories.
The blockbuster franchise is a Japanese anime pop culture phenomenon based on the story of Evangelion, an artificial human and multipurpose humanoid weapon, and the Angels, an unknown life-form which takes place after the Earth has been shattered by a cataclysmic event. The film features all original voice actors including Megumi Ogata, Megumi Hayashibara, Yûko Miyamura and uses the latest imaging technology to showcase the personalities and relationships of its unique characters as they fight for survival. It will be dubbed in 10 languages including English, French, German, Portuguese, Spanish and Italian, and offer subtitles in 28 languages.
Since the TV series first aired in 1995, the Evangelion franchise has had a significant impact on Japanese pop culture and has elevated the anime genre worldwide. The legendary anime franchise was then reborn as a new movie series Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition in 2007 and this fourth and final movie released across theatres in Japan in March has gone on to break records, both for Hideaki Anno’s films and also as Japan’s most-watched theatrical movie of the year. EVANGELION:3.0+1.01 THRICE UPON A TIME on Amazon Prime Video will be the latest version of the film which includes revised scenes and is releasing across theatres now in Japan.
“The EVANGELION films have been thrilling fans for years and we know that there is a huge appetite around the world for the finale” said Brad Beale, Vice President, Worldwide Content Licensing Prime Video. “I’m excited for Prime members worldwide to finally have the opportunity to watch the anime masterpiece EVANGELION:3.0+1.01 THRICE UPON A TIME, as well as the three previous films.”
I’d like to thank every Eva fan in the world for your continued support.” said Hideaki Anno, Creator, Screenwriter and Chief Director. “We were looking for the best way to offer the movie to fans overseas as early as possible in a challenging situation with movie theatres during COVID-19, and are happy to have found Prime Video as a partner to stream it globally. We highly recommend watching it on a big TV screen for the best viewing experience.”
ABOUT EVANGELION:3.0+1.01 THRICE UPON A TIME
The fourth and final instalment of the Rebuild of Evangelion. Misato and her anti-Nerv group Wille arrive in Paris, a city now red from core-ization. Crew from the flagship Wunder land on a containment tower. They only have 720 seconds to restore the city. When a horde of Nerv Evas appear, Mari’s improved Eva Unit 8 must intercept. Meanwhile, Shinji, Asuka, and Rei (provisional name) wander around Japan.
Studio: khara, Inc.
ABOUT THE THREE PREVIOUS MOVIES
EVANGELION:1.11 YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE.
Scarred by the Second Impact, the Fourth Angel attacks Tokyo III and humanity's fate is left in the hands of Special Government Agency Nerv. Young Shinji Ikari is forced to pilot EVA-01. He and EVA-00 pilot Rei Ayanami are tasked to fight, but EVA-01 is damaged by the Sixth Angel. Misato Katsuragi draws up a plan to focus all of Japan's electricity into EVA-01's positron cannon to defeat the Angel.
Studio: khara, Inc.
EVANGELION:2.22 YOU CAN (NOT) ADVANCE.
Mari Illustrious-Makinami pilots Provisional Unit-05 to defeat the excavated Third Angel. Asuka Langley-Shikinami and EVA-02 defeat the Seventh Angel. The Eighth Angel appears and attacks Nerv HQ. EVA-03 is taken over by the Ninth Angel during testing and Shinji deploys to stop it, but learns Asuka is aboard. Gendo switches EVA-01's controls over to the Dummy System and begins fighting EVA-03.
Studio: khara, Inc.
EVANGELION:3.33 YOU CAN (NOT) REDO.
Shinji wakes after 14 years aboard the battleship AAA Wunder belonging to an anti-Nerv organization founded by former Nerv members. Shinji hears Rei's voice coming from EVA Mark.09, sent to rescue him, so he leaves Wunder and heads to Nerv. Kaworu Nagisa shows Shinji the transformed land. He learns that saving Rei triggered the Near Third Impact that caused the catastrophic damage to Earth.
Studio: khara, Inc.
EVANGELION:3.0+1.01 THRICE UPON A TIME will join the thousands of TV shows and movies in the Prime Video catalogue, UK-produced Amazon Original series such as Good Omens, Clarkson’s Farm and All or Nothing: Tottenham Hotspur and award-winning and critically acclaimed global Amazon Originals like Borat Subsequent Moviefilm, Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan, The Boys, Hunters, and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. All this is available on Prime Video at no extra cost for Prime members.
Prime members will be able to watch EVANGELION:3.0+1.01 THRICE UPON A TIME anywhere and anytime on the Prime Video app for smart TVs, mobile devices, Fire TV, Fire TV stick, Fire tablets, Apple TV, set-top boxes including Sky, Virgin, TalkTalk and BT and to stream online. In the Prime Video app, Prime members can download episodes on their mobile devices and tablets and watch anywhere offline at no additional cost. Prime Video is available in the UK at no extra cost to a Prime membership for just £79 per year. New customers can find out more at www.amazon.co.uk/primevideo and to subscribe to a free 30-day trial.
Prime Video Boilerplate
About Prime Video
Prime Video offers customers a vast collection of TV shows, movies, sport and more — all available to watch on practically any device:
- Included with Prime: Watch thousands of popular movies and TV shows, award-winning Amazon Originals and other exclusives, sports, and more. Think UK-produced Amazon Originals such as Good Omens, The Grand Tour and All or Nothing: Tottenham Hotspur, US hits like The Boys, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan; as well as exclusive TV shows like Star Trek: Picard, Nine Perfect Strangers and Little Fires Everywhere; movies like Coming 2 America and the Golden Globe-winning Borat Subsequent Moviefilm; as well as live sport including ATP and WTA Tour and US Open Tennis, the Rugby Union Autumn Nations Cup and Premier League football. All available at no additional cost as part of Prime Video, which is available in more than 240 countries and territories worldwide (offers and titles vary based on location).
- Watch More with Prime Video Channels: Prime members can add 70+ channels like Discovery, ITV Hub+, Eurosport Player, hayu, STARZPLAY and more — no extra apps to download; no long term contract required. Only pay for the ones you want, and cancel anytime. View the full list of channels available at co.uk/channels.
- Rent or Buy: Enjoy new-release movies to rent or buy, entire seasons of current TV shows available to buy, with special deals just for Prime members.
- Instant Access: Watch at home or on the go with your choice of hundreds of compatible devices. Stream from the web or using the Prime Video app on your smartphone, tablet, set-top box including Sky, Virgin, TalkTalk and BT, game console, or select smart TVs. For a list of all compatible devices, visitco.uk/watchanywhere.
- Enhanced Experiences: Make the most of every viewing with 4K Ultra HD and High Dynamic Range (HDR) compatible content. Go behind the scenes of your favourite movies and TV shows with exclusive X-Ray access, powered by IMDb. Save it for later with select mobile downloads for offline viewing.
Prime Video is just one of many benefits included with a Prime membership, along with unlimited fast free delivery options on millions of items as well as exclusive deals and discounts at Amazon.co.uk, exclusive content with Prime Gaming, access to ad-free music, Kindle ebooks, and unlimited photo storage. To sign-up or start a free trial of Prime visit: Amazon.co.uk/prime
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Amazon strives to be Earth’s Most Customer-Centric Company, Earth’s Best Employer, and Earth’s Safest Place to Work. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalised recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Career Choice, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, Alexa, Just Walk Out technology, Amazon Studios, and The Climate Pledge are some of the things pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit Amazon.co.uk/about and follow @AmazonNewsUK.