Iain Glen, Emily Hampshire, Martin Compston, Rochenda Sandall, Owen Teale, Richard Pepple, Mark Bonnar, Calvin Demba, Emun Elliott, Abraham Popoola, Stuart McQuarrie and Molly Vevers to star in The Rig for Amazon Prime Video
Filming for the new UK Amazon Original series commences later this month in Edinburgh, Scotland
The Rig is produced by Wild Mercury Productions, written by David Macpherson and directed by John Strickland
London, UK – Thursday 18th March 2021 – Amazon Prime Video has unveiled casting on the highly-anticipated UK Amazon Original series The Rig, a six-part epic thriller produced by Wild Mercury Productions (part of Banijay UK), created by David Macpherson and directed by John Strickland (Line of Duty, Bodyguard). The series is set to film exclusively in Scotland later this month on an oil rig and at FirstStage Studios in Edinburgh.
Meet the crew of the Kinloch Bravo oil rig:
Iain Glen (Game of Thrones, Mrs Wilson) plays Magnus MacMillan, Offshore Installation Manager of the rig and leader of the crew, Emily Hampshire (Schitt's Creek) plays Rose Mason the scientist and oil company rep, a fresh face on-board the rig.
Martin Compston (Line of Duty, Traces) plays Communications Officer Fulmer Hamilton. Rochenda Sandall (Criminal: UK, Small Axe) plays Medic Cat Braithwaite. Owen Teale (Game of Thrones, A Discovery of Witches) is Head Driller Lars Hutton. Richard Pepple (Bridgerton, Cobra) is crew boss Grant Dunlin and Mark Bonnar (Guilt, Quiz) is Deck Foreman Alwyn Evans.
Calvin Demba (Life, Last Christmas) plays Drill Hand Baz Roberts, Emun Elliott (Guilt) is rig mechanic Leck Longman. Abraham Popoola (Cruella) is rig crane driver Easter Ayodeji, Stuart McQuarrie (Des) is Head Chef Colin Murchison and Molly Vevers (The Spanish Princess) plays roustabout Heather Shaw.
Magnus and his crew aboard the Kinloch Bravo oil rig are stationed off the Scottish coast in the dangerous waters of the North Sea. When they are due to be collected and return to the mainland a mysterious and all-enveloping fog rolls through. The rig is hit by massive tremors, and they find themselves cut off from all communication with the shore and the outside world. As the crew endeavour to discover what’s driving this unknown force, a major accident forces them to ask questions about who they can really trust. Bonds are broken, allegiances formed and generational fault lines exposed. The crew of the Bravo will be driven to the limits of both their loyalties and their endurance, into a confrontation with forces beyond their imagination.
The Rig will join the thousands of TV shows and movies in the Prime Video catalogue, including UK produced Amazon Original series such as Good Omens, The Grand Tour, All or Nothing: Tottenham Hotspur, Truth Seekers and All or Nothing: Manchester City; hit movies like Coming 2 America, Golden Globe winner and Academy Award nominee Borat Subsequent Moviefilm, the Golden Globe and Academy Award nominated movies One Night in Miami and Sound of Metal; and critically-acclaimed global Amazon Original series including Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan, The Boys, Homecoming and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, all available on Prime Video at no extra cost for Prime members. Prime Video also offers Prime members in the UK live coverage of Premier League football matches, Autumn Nations Cup international rugby union tournament, plus exclusive coverage of ATP Tour and US Open tennis.
Prime members will be able to watch all episodes of The Rig anywhere and anytime on the Prime Video app for smart TVs, mobile devices, Fire TV, Fire TV stick, Fire tablets, games consoles, on Virgin’s V6 TV Box, the Talk Talk TV set top box, Apple TV, Chromecast, BT TV or online at www.amazon.co.uk/primevideo. In the Prime Video app, Prime members can download episodes on their mobile devices and tablets and watch anywhere offline at no additional cost. Prime Video is available in the UK and Ireland at no extra cost to a Prime membership for just £7.99 a month or £79 per year. New customers can find out more at amazon.co.uk/prime and subscribe to a free 30-day trial.
About Prime Video
Prime Video offers customers a vast collection of TV shows, movies, sport and more — all available to watch on practically any device:
- Included with Prime: Watch thousands of popular movies and TV shows, award-winning Amazon Originals and other exclusives, sports, and more. Think UK-produced Amazon Originals such as Good Omens, The Grand Tour and All or Nothing: Tottenham Hotspur, US hits like The Boys, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan; as well as exclusive TV shows like Star Trek: Picard, American Gods and Vikings; movies like Coming 2 America and the Golden Globe-winning Borat Subsequent Moviefilm; as well as live sport including ATP and WTA Tour and US Open Tennis, the Rugby Union Autumn Nations Cup and Premier League football. All available at no additional cost as part of Prime Video, which is available in more than 240 countries and territories worldwide (offers and titles vary based on location).
- Watch More with Prime Video Channels: Prime members can add 70+ channels like Discovery, ITV Hub+, Eurosport Player, hayu, STARZPLAY and more — no extra apps to download; no long term contract required. Only pay for the ones you want, and cancel anytime. View the full list of channels available at co.uk/channels.
- Rent or Buy: Enjoy new-release movies to rent or buy, entire seasons of current TV shows available to buy, with special deals just for Prime members.
- Instant Access: Watch at home or on the go with your choice of hundreds of compatible devices. Stream from the web or using the Prime Video app on your smartphone, tablet, set-top box including Sky, Virgin, TalkTalk and BT, game console, or select smart TVs. For a list of all compatible devices, visitco.uk/watchanywhere.
- Enhanced Experiences: Make the most of every viewing with 4K Ultra HD and High Dynamic Range (HDR) compatible content. Go behind the scenes of your favourite movies and TV shows with exclusive X-Ray access, powered by IMDb. Save it for later with select mobile downloads for offline viewing.
Prime Video is just one of many benefits included with a Prime membership, along with unlimited fast free delivery options on millions of items as well as exclusive deals and discounts at Amazon.co.uk, exclusive content with Prime Gaming, access to ad-free music, Kindle ebooks, and unlimited photo storage. To sign-up or start a free trial of Prime visit: Amazon.co.uk/prime
About Wild Mercury Productions
Wild Mercury was established in 2017 by Derek Wax to develop and produce bold, irreverent, imaginative stories for UK and US broadcasters. In creative collaboration with the most original writers working in drama and comedy, the team at Wild Mercury are drawn to dramas which take creative risks, bringing exciting, unfamiliar worlds to audiences. Wild Mercury is part of the Banijay Group.
Wild Mercury’s recent projects, in association with Kudos, include Troy: Fall of A City for BBC and Netflix, Bafta nominated Humans for Channel 4 and AMC and Capital for BBC One. The company is also in production with the recently announced mini-series The Sixth Commandment, written by Sarah Phelps, for BBC One.
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit Amazon.com/about and follow @AmazonNews.