Amazon’s Prime Day is the Biggest Day Ever
Biggest day ever for Amazon devices globally - record Prime Day for each Amazon device category including Fire TV, Fire tablets and Kindle e-readers.
Marketplace sellers including small businesses on Amazon offering deals to Prime members saw their orders nearly triple year-over-year on Prime Day – both worldwide and in the UK
LONDON – 13 July, 2016 – The second annual Prime Day was the biggest day ever for Amazon. Amazon today announced customer orders surpassed Prime Day 2015 by more than 60% worldwide. It was also the biggest day ever for Amazon devices globally and record Prime Day for each Amazon device category including Fire TV, Fire tablets and Kindle e-readers. Prime Day was a great savings day too – members globally saved more than double on deals over Prime Day 2015.
“Prime itself is the best deal in the history of shopping, and Prime Day was created as a special benefit exclusively for our Prime members,” said Greg Greeley, Vice President, Amazon Prime. “We want to thank our tens of millions of members around the world for making this the biggest day in the history of Amazon. We hope you had as much fun as we did. After yesterday’s results, we’ll definitely be doing this again.”
“We have been delighted by the response from our customers for Prime Day here in the UK,” said Doug Gurr, UK Country Manager, Amazon. “In fact, the day was our biggest day of the year so far, and by 6pm customers had already ordered more items than Prime Day last year.”
Prime Day 2016 highlights globally:
- Sold over 2.5x more Amazon Fire TV devices compared to Prime Day last year – Fire TV Stick was the best-selling Amazon device.
- More than two million toys and more than one million pairs of shoes were purchased by customers on Prime Day 2016.
- More than 90,000 TVs were purchased on Prime Day 2016.
- Hundreds of thousands of Kindle e-readers sold on Prime Day.
- Prime member orders on the Amazon app surpassed Prime Day 2015 mobile app orders by more than 2x.
- More than a million customers used the Amazon app for the first time on Prime Day to shop and to watch-a-deal.
- The Prime Photos prize draw had two million submissions worldwide during the lead-up to Prime Day, the winner will be randomly selected shortly.
Prime Day highlights from the UK:
- Top-selling items in the UK were Amazon devices: the Fire TV Stick, Fire tablet and Kindle Paperwhite
- Prime members started snapping up summer holiday bargains from midnight– hundreds of Trunki Ride-On Suitcases had been ordered before breakfast
- Prime members in the UK ordered enough Smart Bulbs to Light up the Royal Albert Hall every night for 4 and a half years
- Prime members in the UK ordered a lot of TVs - if they were bricks, arranged vertically, we'd be building the new tallest building in London: x51 higher than the London Eye, x72 taller than Big Ben and x23 versus the Shard
- Prime members purchased enough digital storage devices to store a photograph of every man, woman and child living in Africa, Europe and all of the Americas combined
- Prime members have bought more than 13 Narwal (medium-sized toothed whale) worth of books by weight of A Song of Ice and Fire, 7 Volumes
- Prime members in nine urban areas across the UK were be able to shop Prime Day deals through the Prime Now app for ultrafast delivery. The Fire TV Stick was the most popular item purchased on the Prime Now app, closely followed by the Fire tablet. Additional best sellers around the UK included:
- Customers in London were all smiles as they favoured the Oral-B Pro electric toothbrush deal, whereas up in Birmingham, Bose Earphones were the favourites
- In the north west, music fans in Manchester loved the Bose Earphones deal, closely followed by the Fire 7” tablet
- In the north east, customers in Newcastle were keen to upgrade the storage capacity of their PCs, as they favoured the Crucial Internal Solid State Drive offer
- Gaming fans shopped in force in Portsmouth and Leeds today, as sales of Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4) were stronger than elsewhere in the UK
- One of the favourite discounts for South Yorkshire customers was the Kindle Paperwhite
- Prime members had exclusive access to deals on top rated TV series and popular blockbuster movies to rent or purchase and instantly stream on the Amazon Video app on TVs, mobile devices, Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, and Fire tablets, or online—the top three Prime Day deal titles purchased or rented in the UK were: The Revenant, Deadpool and Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
Fire TV Stick was Amazon’s best-selling device globally. Other top sellers around the world, excluding Amazon devices were:
- U.S.: Instant Pot 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker
- UK: Oral-B Pro 6000 CrossAction Electric Toothbrush with Bluetooth Connectivity and Smart Series
- Spain: SanDisk USB memory stick
- Japan: Calbee Breakfast Cereal 800 grams
- Italy: Lexar JumpDrive
- Germany and Austria: Tefal Jamie Oliver Frying Pan
- France and Belgium: Game of Thrones DVD – season 1 to 4
- Canada: Sennheiser HD 598 Special-Edition Over-Ear Headphones
Prime Day was another record-breaking success for the sellers including thousands of small businesses worldwide participating in the event. Sellers on Amazon offering deals to Prime members saw their orders nearly triple year-over-year on Prime Day – both worldwide and in the UK. Feedback from sellers includes:
- “Prime Day 2016 proved to be a prime opportunity for Amazon customers to shop from Time2 Direct, with our one day only deals showing a growth of 730% in unit sales based on a daily average and our sales targets exceeded by over 75%.” -- Latif Kothia, Time2 Direct (UK)
- “It was a great day all round. We sold out of all our Prime Day deals which saw 10% increase in sales from last year. I think Amazon has managed to create a buzz around generally a very quiet time which has given us a boost in sales.” --Ravi Daryanani, Teletape Limited (UK)
- “On Prime Day we had one of the largest sales days in our company’s 108 year history. Prime Day is a win for sellers and customers.” – Larry Frankel, Director of Business Development, Huppins/OneCall
- “Prime Day was our biggest day of the year! We more than quadrupled the number of sales from our previous biggest sales day.” – Emily Wilcox, Founder, Fayebeline
- “We offered customers our best products at great deals and they responded in a big way. Prime Day helped us reach our highest sales day ever.” – Dovi Brafman, CEO of Sharkk
- “On Prime Day we offered customers a great deal for the Nikon D3300 camera and the deal sold out within the first hour!” – Elazar Klein, Merchandising Director, Ritz Camera
- “We are absolutely thrilled. Gaining access to millions of Prime members on Prime Day was a huge win for us.” – Brian Buccella, Vice President of Marketing at Segway
- “Prime Day introduced Cielo to countless new customers and increased my daily sales 1000% in a single day!” – Christine Boerner, Founder, Cielo Pill Holders
- “On Prime Day this year Etekcity experienced unprecedented growth not just in the U.S. but globally through Fulfillment by Amazon.” – James Li, Director of Marketing, Etekcity
- “Amazon gives small businesses an amazing opportunity to get in front of a new audience with Prime Day. Prime Day was our biggest sales day of the year!” – Bridget Hilton, founder, LSTN Sound Co.
More to Prime
Tens of millions of Prime members around the world enjoy the many benefits of Prime. In the UK that includes unlimited One-Day Delivery on millions of items across all categories, unlimited Same-Day Delivery on more than a million items in London, Surrey, Berkshire, Birmingham, Bristol, Milton Keynes, Glasgow, and Edinburgh, and one and two-hour delivery with Prime Now on tens of thousands of items available through the Prime Now app in London, Birmingham, Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool and Portsmouth.. In addition to unlimited fast delivery, Prime members have access to unlimited streaming of tens of thousands of movies and TV episodes with Prime Video, more than one million songs and hundreds of curated playlists and stations with Prime Music, early access to select Lightning Deals all year long, unlimited secure photo storage with Prime Photos and access to more than one million books to borrow for free with the Kindle Owners' Lending Library.
Amazon customers who are not already Prime members can sign up for Prime or start a 30-day free trial of Amazon Prime by visiting www.amazon.co.uk/prime.
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit amazon.com/about.