Amazon Prime Day 2020 Marked the Two Biggest Days Ever for Small & Medium Businesses in Amazon’s Stores Worldwide
Third-party sellers—most of which are small and medium-sized businesses—surpassed $3.5 billion in sales on Prime Day—a nearly 60% year-on-year increase worldwide, growing even more than Amazon’s retail business
Prime members in the UK saved more than £75 million during Prime Day, taking advantage of deep discounts and incredible deals over the two-day event—some of the top categories members shopped and saved in the UK included Hardware, Spirits, Small Devices and Skin Care
The Echo Dot was the most popular item purchased on Prime Day globally and in the UK – outside of Amazon Devices, best-selling products in the UK included the Shark Upright Vacuum Cleaner, Celebrations Chocolate Bulk Box, Halloween Party Bag Fillers, and Oral-B Smart 6 6000N CrossAction Electric Toothbrush, among others
LONDON – 6am, 16th October 2020 – After holding Prime Day in India in August, Amazon just wrapped the two-day event across 19 additional countries, delivering big sales for small businesses and big savings for Prime members in the UK as well as the U.S., U.A.E., Turkey, Spain, Singapore, Netherlands, Mexico, Luxembourg, Japan, Italy, Germany, France, China, Canada, Brazil, Belgium, Austria, and Australia. Amazon is on track to invest $18 billion this year to help small and medium-sized businesses succeed in its store, and designed this Prime Day to support small businesses even more—including funding a promotion that helped drive over $900 million in sales for small businesses in the two weeks leading up to Prime Day. This Prime Day delivered the two biggest days ever for third-party sellers, globally and in the UK, nearly all of which are small and medium-sized businesses. Sellers saw record-breaking sales, surpassing $3.5 billion in total across 19 countries. In addition, Prime members around the world saved over $1.4 billion during the epic deals event, securing deep discounts and getting a jump start on their Christmas shopping.
“We are thrilled that Prime Day was a record-breaking event for small and medium businesses worldwide, with sales surpassing $3.5 billion—an increase of nearly 60% from last year,” said Jeff Wilke, CEO Worldwide Consumer. “We’re also proud that Prime members saved more than $1.4 billion worldwide, and we look forward to providing more opportunities for our selling partners to grow and customers to save throughout the festive season. I’m incredibly thankful to our employees and partners around the world who helped make Prime Day possible, especially the dedicated front-line teams in our fulfilment centres and delivery operations.”
Members shopped and found great deals across a variety of categories from small businesses to top brands with hardware, spirits, small devices and skin care as some of the best-selling categories in the UK. In addition, Prime members enjoyed deep discounts, snatching-up incredible deals with best-selling products globally including Echo Dot and Fire TV Stick 4K with Alexa Voice Remote. And outside of amazon devices best-sellers in the UK included, Shark Upright Vacuum Cleaner, Celebrations Chocolate Bulk Box, Halloween Party Bag Fillers, and Oral-B Smart 6 6000N CrossAction Electric Toothbrush, among others.
Highlights from Prime Day 2020
Supporting Small Businesses
Amazon held its biggest small business promotion ever in the lead-up to Prime Day, and had thousands of deals from both small and medium-sized businesses globally over the two-day event.
- Independent third-party sellers—most of which are small and medium-sized businesses—surpassed $3.5 billion in sales on Prime Day worldwide —a nearly 60% increase over Prime Day 2019, growing even more than Amazon’s retail business.
- Tens of millions of customers around the world supported small businesses in the two-week lead-up to Prime Day, generating more than $900 million in sales for small businesses included in the Spend £10, Get £10 promotion.
“Small and medium-sized businesses selling on Amazon had the biggest two days ever this Prime Day,” said Doug Gurr, Amazon UK Country Manager. “Compared to last year, these businesses saw an increase of more than 75% in product sales in the UK alone. It’s great to see so many small and medium businesses in the UK embracing online sales for the first time. We are committed to helping our customers save and supporting selling partners with further promotional programmes throughout the season ahead.”
Prime Member Savings
With early promotions and more than one million deals globally, members had an opportunity to save big this Prime Day. Prime members saved more than $1.4 billion on Prime Day 2020 globally and saved £75 million in the UK alone.
Members took advantage of incredible savings on Amazon Devices throughout Prime Day.
- Echo Dot was the most popular item purchased on Prime Day globally and in the UK.
- Companies building devices with Alexa built-in had a record Prime Day with Bose QuietComfort 35 (Series II) Wireless Headphones and Fitbit Versa 2 Health and Fitness Smartwatch being some of the most popular items globally during the Prime Day event.
- Customers around the world purchased millions of Alexa compatible devices during the Prime Day event.
- Customers around the world purchased even more Fire TV Edition Smart TVs than during previous Prime Day events.
Prime Day Best Sellers by Country
Members shopped across a wide selection of products in a variety of categories including electronics, beauty, fashion, grocery, toys, furniture, everyday essentials, school supplies, and more.
UK Best Sellers from Prime Day 2020:
- Amazon Devices: The best-selling item on Prime Day in the UK was the Echo Dot.
- Top Categories on Prime Day in the UK: The best-selling categories in the UK on Prime Day 2020 included hardware, spirits, small devices and skin care.
- UK Best-Sellers (excluding Amazon Devices): Shark Upright Vacuum Cleaner, Celebrations Chocolate Bulk Box, Halloween Party Bag Fillers, and Oral-B Smart 6 6000N CrossAction Electric Toothbrush.
- SMB Top Categories: Top-selling categories for third-party selling partners in the UK include lighting, linens, headphones, wireless accessories, as well as games and puzzles.
- SMB Top Sellers: Top-selling products in the UK from third-party selling partners include Anker Soundcore Life P2 True Wireless Earbuds with Noise Reduction, Alexa-enabled Govee Smart WiFi APP Controlled LED Strip Lights, 23andMe Health & Ancestry Kit, Sandy Leaf Farm Ultimate Gin Maker's Kit, and the game, Beat That! - The Bonkers Battle of Wacky Challenges.
- Consumer Electronics: Among the top-selling products from the consumer electronics category were the Bose Solo 5 TV Sound System, the Sony Srs-XB12 Compact and Portable Waterproof Wireless Speaker with Extra Bass, and the Ultimate Ears Wonderboom Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker.
- Beauty: Among the top-selling products from the beauty category were the Vera Wang Princess Eau De Toilette Fragrance for Women, the Garnier Tissue Mask Discovery Collection, and the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge.
- Books: Among the top-selling books from the books category were the Pinch of Nom Recipe Book, Skincare: The Ultimate No-Nonsense Guide, and Peppa Pig: Practise with Peppa Book.
- Toys: Among the top-selling products from the toys category were Jenga Classic, Monopoly Classic, and the VTech Kidizoom Duo Camera 5.0.
- Pets: Among the top-selling products from the pets category were the Felix Mixed Selection Pouches in Jelly Cat Food, the Pedigree Dentastix Daily Dental Care Chews Dog Treats, and the ADAPTIL Calm Home Diffuser 30 Day Starter Kit.
- Grocery: Among the top-selling products from the grocery category were the Celebrations Chocolate Bulk Box, the Smiths Savoury Snacks Scampi and Lemon Fries Pub Favourites Snacks (Pack of 24), and the Starbucks Nespresso Variety Pack.
- Home Improvement: Among the top-selling products from the home improvement category were the Command Large Picture Hanging Strips, the Bosch Cordless Combi Drill, and the tado° Smart Radiator Thermostat for Multi-Room Control.
- Kitchen: Among the top-selling products from the kitchen category were the Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, the Ninja Foodi Electric Multi-Cooker and Air Fryer, and the Bosch CleverMixx MSM2610BGB Hand Blender.
Some of the top-selling deals from around the world, excluding Amazon Devices, included:
- United States: iRobot Roomba Robot Vacuum, MyQ Wireless & WiFi Enabled Smart Garage Door Opener, LifeStraw Personal Water Filter, Goli Apple Cider Vinegar Vitamins, and Kids Against Maturity: Card Game for Kids and Families.
- United Arab Emirates: Listerine Cool Mint Mouthwash, Sony Extra Bass Smartphone Headset with Mic Headphone, and Nescafe Dolce Mini Me Coffee Machine.
- Turkey: HP Laptop, Baby Turco Islak Havlu Mendil, and Familia Plus Paper Towels.
- Spain: Finish Powerball All in 1 Max Detergent, L'Oréal Paris Men Expert - 24H Hydra Energetic Daily Moisturizer, BRITA MAXTRA universal cartridge, and Oral B CrossAction Electric Toothbrush.
- Singapore: Cocolife Coconut Water, Learning Resources Sight Word Auditory Learning Game, Wolf Blass Red Label, Australia Cabernet Merlot and LEGO Classic 10698 Large Creative Brick Box.
- Netherlands: Lego Star Wars Stormtrooper Helmet, Dettol Cleaning Wipes Power & Fresh, and Oral-B Pro CrossAction Electric Toothbrush.
- Mexico: Lloyd’s WiFi Smart Bulb Compatible with Alexa, iOS, Android and Google Assistant, Lysol Multipurpose Disinfectant, and TECHVIDA Automatic Water Dispenser.
- Luxembourg: Christmas Magic Yankee Candle, SanDisk Extreme microSDXC Memory Card, and Sagrotan Hand Disinfectant Gel with Aloe Vera.
- Japan: SwitchBot, Detergent Wide Hiter, and Water Bottles I Ro Ha Su.
- Italy: FIFA 21 PlayStation 4, includes PS5 upgrade, Borbone Respresso Coffee Capsules, and Protective Face Mask FFP2 by Jiandi.
- France: Pampers Premium Protection diapers, Braun Oral-B Pro 2 2500 rechargeable electric toothbrush, and the Harry Potter owl building set from LEGO
- Germany and Austria: SanDisk Extreme microSDXC Memory Card (128 GB), Lavazza Coffee Beans - Caffè Crema Classico, and Tefal Jamie Oliver Pan.
- China: L'Oreal Paris Golden Age Repair Cream, Dove Creme Body Scrub, Western Digital Desktop External Hard Drive, and Philips Sonicare Genuine Replacement Brush Head.
- Canada: LifeStraw Personal Water Filter, Govee LED Light Strip compatible with Alexa, All Natural Advice Anti-Aging Vitamin C Serum, Instant Pot Duo Nova, and Donut Shop Variety Box Keurig K-Cup Pods.
- Brazil: Positivo Wi-Fi Smart LED Light Bulb Compatible with Alexa, Faber-Castell Highlighter Pen, 6 Pastel Colors, and Lysoform Disinfectant.
- Belgium: SanDisk Extreme microSDXC UHS-I Memory card 128 GB, Sagrotan Hand Disinfectant Gel with Aloe Vera, and Samsung Internal SSD.
- Australia: Philips Hue Smart Lighting, Skin Care from WELEDA, and Palmolive.
UK Success Stories from Small Businesses Selling on Amazon:
Samantha Riley, Owner of Manta Makes, Bournemouth, UK: “Prime Day was extremely successful for our business. Our 2020 sales grew by over 300% compared to last year’s event. Our deals for Prime Day have shown to be successful especially mid-mornings, where we had an influx of orders. When we give reductions on events like this, we find it greatly increases our sales.”
Hazel Reynolds, Founder of Gamely Games, Brighton, UK: “We sold more than 1,000 games in total on Day One of Prime Day - 10 times what we’d normally sell in a day in October.”
Tracey Hogarth, Founder of Nudie Snacks, Glasgow, UK: “I can comfortably say Prime Day has been one of the best trading periods with Amazon this year. I look forward to the momentum continuing to build during the season ahead, to help us get through the upcoming challenges.”
William Johnson, Co-Founder of Torro Cases, Tyne and Wear, UK: “Prime Day is really good for our business as it massively increases the traffic to the Amazon website, which naturally increases the volume of eyes on TORRO products and provides a nice boost in sales prior to the high traffic gifting season.”
Erin Graybill, Founder of Niré Beauty, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK: “The Prime Day deals made a huge difference for us, with our sales increasing by 60% from last year! The event helped us a lot - 2020 has been an unexpected year for us all so we really appreciate the support of Amazon to reach more customers!”
Operations and Delivery
Amazon announced just last month that 10,000 new permanent roles are being created across the UK in 2020 and it is also hiring for more than 20,000 seasonal positions for the festive period at its sites across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. With more than 150 new process improvements and safety measures implemented over the last several months, these new positions will work safely alongside the thousands of people already across Amazon’s networks to ensure fast, and efficient delivery for customers.
Everyday Made Better with Prime
Prime was designed to make our customers’ lives better every single day and was built on the foundation of unlimited fast delivery. Prime members in the UK receive unlimited One-Day Delivery on millions of eligible items across all categories and unlimited Same-Day Delivery on more than a million items in Greater London, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Birmingham, Bristol, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool and more. Over 150 million paid members worldwide also enjoy the many benefits of Prime over and above unlimited fast delivery. In the UK that includes unlimited access to award-winning movies and TV shows with Prime Video; unlimited access to over 2 million songs with Prime Music; access to Audible Channels for Prime; unlimited access to thousands of books and magazines with Prime Reading; unlimited photo storage with Amazon Photos; free in-game content and games with Prime Gaming; early access to select Lightning Deals; one free pre-released book a month with Amazon First Reads and more. Prime members (in select areas) can also complete their full grocery shop, and choose from thousands of fresh grocery products, famous brands and household essentials, at great prices with free, two-hour delivery windows on orders over £40 – from Amazon Fresh, Morrisons at Amazon, or Prime Now, (available in select areas). Prime members benefit from as fast as same-day delivery for orders placed before 9pm in most areas. Amazon Business customers - from small businesses to large enterprises, as well as education, government and non-profit organizations - can also take advantage of Prime’s fast, free shipping and exclusive business-relevant benefits with Business Prime, which starts at £40 per year excl. VAT as an add-on for customers with Amazon Prime on their personal account or £80 per year for up to three users at amazon.co.uk/businessprime. University students and apprentices can enjoy the benefits of Prime, including exclusive student discounts, by joining Prime Student – with a six-month trial and then 50% off Prime after that at amazon.co.uk/joinstudent. Check if you’re eligible for a free trial of Prime at Amazon.co.uk/prime. New members can try Prime for 30 days for free. Prime membership costs £79.00 a year or £7.99 a month.
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalised recommendations, Prime, Fulfilment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit www.amazon.co.uk/about and follow @AmazonNewsUK
For further information please contact:
Amazon UK Press Office
The Academy PR
Tel: 07958 245 277
For press imagery please visit: amazon.co.uk/pr